For the first episode of our podcast, Merle Feld reads her poem “Tisha B’Av” and offers some reflective questions.
Some discussion and/or writing prompts -
- Who do you understand to be included in the "we" of the poem? Palestinians? Other Jews? Might there be others? Who?
- What are your feelings about Jerusalem? Do they put you in conflict with others?
- While the poem refers literally to the city of Jerusalem, what else might this "treasure" represent?
- What has been your experience of people fighting over something cherished? What wisdom do you carry away from that?
- What are you in mourning for on Tisha B'Av? What might you do to help move toward healing?
"Tisha B'Av" (C) Merle Feld, A Spiritual Life: Exploring the Heart and Jewish Tradition, SUNY Press, revised edition 2007.